Oh my gosh… terrariums are SO cute!!
We had so much fun making this sweet mini wonderland today. It’s crazy how much I adore this!
And, I love any activity that gets the kids into gardening. Making a mossy terrarium is a super summer activity.
Terrariums are very easy to make. You need just a few materials and a collection of treasures to make it enchanting.
Materials we used :
- Glass jar
- Activated carbon (craft, pet or hardware store)
- Small pebbles (craft or hardware store)
- Moss (garden shop)
- Cutesy accessories to make it magical (toadstool, blue marbles, tiny pine cone and a feather butterfly)
1. Assemble your materials
2. Add a layer of activated carbon to your glass jar. The carbon keeps the bacterial levels in your terrarium to a minimum. If you are going to be sealing your terrarium with a lid, add the carbon layer on top of the stones… it’ll help to keep the roots of the moss healthy.
3. Add a layer of stones. The stones ensure good drainage.
4. Add the moss. Usually, store-bought moss has a thick layer of soil under it. I usually thin this layer out as moss doesn’t need much soil. Water your garden sparingly.
5. Add your little treasures and VOILA! The cutest little terrarium ever.
It’s now the centerpiece on my coffee table. It looks SO sweet there… but… Kitty usually claims all the cutest things we make for her own room and I’m sure it won’t last on my coffee table for long.
Who can blame her… I want it in my room too!
If you love this terrarium, you’ll love the cute gardens on my Fairy Garden Page.
Blessings and magic,