There are many reasons why your fairy garden needs to include a few toadstools.
Firstly, they are the cutest little things to add to your magical garden. There is something delightful about the bright red caps speckled with white dots. Somehow, they make us feel happy inside. They make us think of fairies and magic and enchanted things.
Secondly, fairies LOVE toadstools and having them in your fairy garden will entice the fairies in your neighborhood to move right in. Having toadstools in your fairy garden will make your fairies feel welcome.
Folklore has it that toadstools grow where fairies dance and, clearly, there will be a lot of dancing in your fairy garden. Don’t be surprised if more toadstools appear each night.
But for my teacup fairy garden, I wanted quick and easy toadstools. I used tiny white pebbles and painted them.
- – small white pebbles
- – red and white acrylic paint
- – paint brush
- – hot glue gun
- – twigs
- – garden scissors
- – Sculpey clay
- – wood skewer
- Assemble supplies.
- Select three pebbles that are round and have flat bottoms. Cut three twigs into 3 inch lengths.
- Roll Sculpey into a snake. We will use the clay to keep the toadstools upright for easy painting. Put a little glue onto the ends of each twig and stick the pebbles onto the twigs. Stick each toadstool into the Sculpey to keep it steady for painting.
- Paint the white pebbles with red acrylic paint. You may need more than one coat for a bright and even finish. Allow the paint to dry completely between coats.
- Use the wood skewer to make white dots on each toadstool with white acrylic paint. Dip the tip of the skewer into the paint and dot it onto the toadstool cap. Try to effect a random spacing and size with the white dots. Random always looks more natural.
- Place your magical mini toadstools into your teacup fairy garden and marvel at how sweet they look.
They are so delightful!
We (and the fairies) are utterly in love with out DIY teacup fairy garden. I’m sure you want to make one too. Here’s a link to the other tutorials to make the rustic fairy garden accessories you see in our fairy garden : DIY Sunflower Pot Plant and a DIY rustic fairy sign.
Don’t forget enter the Fairy Garden Contest this year. The contest is open from April to August, 2016. Look at the GORGEOUS prizes you can win! We’ve teamed up with Garden Sparkle to bring you the MOST magical fairy garden goodies ever.
Blessings and magic,